Yesterday in our staff development meeting we were discussing how students' home lives affect school. We also talked about the difference between homes now and homes from the 1950s-1960s era. The family nucleus has changed since the 50s. Most kids in the 50s grew up in homes with both parents present. Today there are so many single parents raising kids alone. We discussed the fact that most families don't even sit down to eat dinner together because they are always on the run or too preoccupied with other things.
Veteran teachers were amazed at how much technology has affected our schools. Kids are consumed by video games, myspace, tv, ipods, etc. Parents are equally consumed by our technology driven world. I remember when my mom picked me up from school as a kid she would greet me and ask me how my day was. When I am outside during afternoon car duty I notice a lot of the parents picking up their kids are too busy to say hello because they are chatting on their cell phones. I just read a blog post that Mark Driscoll (a pastor of Mars Hill Church in Seattle) wrote recently. He talks about some of these same issues. You can read the post if you click here.
Today some kids from BSHS skipped class today and came over to our apartment complex (not too far from the high school). One of the boys had a gun and shot a female who was junior at BSHS...right here in our apartment complex. Apparently a lot of kids skipped school today because they didn't want to take a standardized test.
It's interesting living life from a teacher's perspective because everyday we see how a child' s home life affects their behavior, attitude, etc. Sometimes as a teacher I find my job soo frustrating because I am constantly teaching kids basic social skills that they should learn at home. I am not trying to have parent bashing post because I definitely know a lot of incredibly supportive parents. I am glad that I have the opportunity to impact students lives. But I look at certain kids that come from torn homes and rough places and I just want to take them home with me. I know that sounds strange, but some of these students simply need someone to love them. I think the most important things that parents can give are: love, prayer, time and attention.
Veteran teachers were amazed at how much technology has affected our schools. Kids are consumed by video games, myspace, tv, ipods, etc. Parents are equally consumed by our technology driven world. I remember when my mom picked me up from school as a kid she would greet me and ask me how my day was. When I am outside during afternoon car duty I notice a lot of the parents picking up their kids are too busy to say hello because they are chatting on their cell phones. I just read a blog post that Mark Driscoll (a pastor of Mars Hill Church in Seattle) wrote recently. He talks about some of these same issues. You can read the post if you click here.
Today some kids from BSHS skipped class today and came over to our apartment complex (not too far from the high school). One of the boys had a gun and shot a female who was junior at BSHS...right here in our apartment complex. Apparently a lot of kids skipped school today because they didn't want to take a standardized test.
It's interesting living life from a teacher's perspective because everyday we see how a child' s home life affects their behavior, attitude, etc. Sometimes as a teacher I find my job soo frustrating because I am constantly teaching kids basic social skills that they should learn at home. I am not trying to have parent bashing post because I definitely know a lot of incredibly supportive parents. I am glad that I have the opportunity to impact students lives. But I look at certain kids that come from torn homes and rough places and I just want to take them home with me. I know that sounds strange, but some of these students simply need someone to love them. I think the most important things that parents can give are: love, prayer, time and attention.






1 comments:
It is very troubling to see how some kids are raised today. And the sad thing is that unless these families get help and change their family dynamics, it will most likely be a pattern their children will continue when they grow up and have kids. And what else can we do but be good role models?
Post a Comment