Today I had to make a lot of phone calls to parents to talk about some of my students' behavior problems, tardiness, etc. Well, I have this student named Kevin (not his real name) and he never stays in his seat (which in my school is a minor prob), but he is in one of my best classes (because 6th graders are the best behaved). So the fact that I have to tell Kevin to go to his seat about 35 times a class is not good. He would like to sit in everyone's seat except his own.
Also, Kevin has been bullying one of my female students, Hannah (not her real name). He calls her a bunnygoat all the time (it's so stupid..I don't understand it.), but it is affecting Hannah's self esteem...and Kevin skipped my class one day and was found in the courtyard kicking a wasp's nest with 2 other boys from my class. He is a good kid who always does his work, but he never obeys me and he always tries to sneak by me and slip into another seat.
I called Kevin's parents today and left them a message on their answering machine. I simply asked them to please call me back when they received my message. During my last 6th grade class of the day (the class Kevin's in), I get a phone call that Kevin's parents are in the front office and that they would like to come down and speak to me. I said, "Sure, I'll just step in the hallway a few minutes to talk to them."
I had previously met Kevin's parents and I remember they were really genuine people who seemed to care a lot about their son and his needs. (a rarity in my school) I stepped in the hallway and greeted Kevin's parents. I explained everything that has been going on in class and how I was especially concern with Kevin bullying a female student in my class. His parents were very supportive, but also concerned (very unusual where I teach, most parents wouldn't even call me back). When we were done talking, Kevin's father asked if he could step in my room for one minute and tell Kevin to come straight to the car after school and of course I said "Sure".
I open the door to the classroom and Kevin's father just stands in the doorway staring at Kevin. Kevin is so embarrassed he won't even look his father in the face. He stared at his drawing on his table. All the kids are whispering "Who's that?" Kevin's father stands there and stares at Kevin until Kevin finally looks up. His father says, "Kevin, I want you to come straight to the car when school gets out." Then he says something like "I don't want you to behave like this anymore..." Then he very firmly says, "because I love you, son." I will never forget that moment. The way he said it was so powerful. I have never seen such great love from a father. The fact that he loves his son so much to come in his classroom and remind him that his behavior and his actions are so important to him amazes me.
It might not seem like a big deal to you, but in that moment it reminded me of our heavenly Father's love for us. Although we mess up, we can't stay in the positions we are supposed to, we hurt our fellow brothers and sisters with our words, and we lie and go places we aren't supposed to, our Father still loves us. Just like Kevin's father, He sometimes convicts us when we would rather be finishing out drawings or going about our own business. He shows us there will be consequences, but despite everything, He does it all because He loves us.
"You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." -Romans 5:6-8
a "teachable moment".
- Thursday, November 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






3 comments:
aw rader! good update. that is so precious...it made me a little teary. i hope i can be that kind of parent. i love you. hope you and walter have an amazing first thanksgiving married!
What a wonderful reflection!
update yours and i will update mine
Post a Comment