About 6 years ago if you had told me you were a Democrat I would have thought that there was no possible way you could be a Christian. See I believed that Christian = Republican because I thought the Republican party was "more christian". Hmmm...is there something wrong with this thinking?
I know I said I don't like to write about politics, but I am frustrated at evangelical Christians! And I am one!
I am frustrated that Christians choose to think that Republicans have stronger morals and values than Democrats. Since when did the Bible say that abortion is the only sin?
I have seen the Evangelical bias unfair this week more than ever. I think Sarah Palin is an incredibly talented women. I admire her for her accomplishments in the political world. She is a dynamic speaker, but I don't think she is a shining christian example. It's great that she chose to keep her baby and support her daughter's unwed pregnancy. I think that is wonderful and admirable. But does that make her more pro-family? If she was really pro-family she wouldn't be running for VP! Male or female! This argument is wrong. I guarantee if Hillary Clinton was in her position, James Dobson and all these other evangelical leaders wouldn't be praising her! It just amazes/disgusts me that Christian leaders stoop to this level just to have a Republican elected.
I agree with what Voddie Baucham said on his blog this week:
"The Palins did not make a tough choice. They made the only logical choice given their profession of faith. In fact, there was no real choice to make. We mustn’t lower the bar just to make ourselves look good. In fact, the conservative Christian response to the Palin pregnancy actually makes abortion sound like a reasonable option that the Palin family heroically chose to forego. "
Like I said in my previous post, I believe both Republicans and Democrats have various stances that are positive, but both parties are corrupt as well. To elevate one party above the other and say that Republicans are more Christian is wrong. Killing innocent people in war is just as wrong as abortion. Killing is wrong period. Last time I checked my Bible it said "You shall not murder."
I listen to the teachers at my school talk about politics in the teacher's lounge. Most teachers are pretty liberal. Many people are turned off by Christians because Christians align themselves so closely to the Republican party. It seems that evangelicals are known more for their politics than their actions. One teacher this week said he was discouraged because Evangelicals have all the power. That is true. Christians do have a lot of power. We know the Word of God. We should have power in our words. But what is our authority? The Bible or politics? I am not saying being liberal is better. That is definitely not the case. No matter who you vote for in November, God has the ultimate authority over our country. Want people to come to Christ? Put your identity in Christ instead of your political beliefs.
"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect." -Romans 12:2
"Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good." -Romans 12:9
"For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart." -Hebrews 4:12
Check out this song written by Derek Webb...
A Savior on Capitol Hill
Appears on: The Ringing Bell
Lyrics:
I’m so tired of these mortal men
with their hands on their wallets and their hearts full of sin
scared of their enemies, scared of their friends
and always running for re-election
so come to DC if it be thy will
because we’ve never had a savior on Capitol Hill
you can always trust the devil or a politician
to be the devil or a politician
but beyond that friends you’d best beware
’cause at the Pentagon bar they’re an inseparable pair
and as long as the lobbyists are paying their bills
we’ll never have a savior on Capitol Hill
[Bridge]
all of our problems gonna disappear
when we can whisper right in that President’s ear
he could walk right across the reflection pool
in his combat boots and ten thousand dollar suit
you can render unto Caesar everything that’s his
you can trust in his power to come to your defense
it’s the way of the world, the way of the gun
it’s the trading of an evil for a lesser one
so don’t hold your breath or your vote until
you think you’ve finally found a savior up on Capitol Hill






1 comments:
very well said... i've always thought this very same thing w/ christians/democrats/and republicans
Post a Comment